Influenza Vaccine 2012/2013
Important message regarding the flu vaccine for privately insured patients:
We are currently running very low on pediatric flu shots (injectible doses of flu vaccine) for our insured patient population. We still have flu shots for patients who are eligible for the VFC or state funded program (criteria below).
These are children who are under 19 years of age and meet one of the following criteria:
• Uninsured (No health insurance coverage)
• American Indian or Alaskan Native
• Underinsured (Has insurance that does not cover routine immunizations)
• Children who have commercial (private) health insurance but the coverage does not include vaccines
• Children whose insurance covers only selected vaccines (eligible for STATEvaccine for non-covered vaccines only)
• Children whose insurance caps vaccine coverage at a certain amount (once that coverage amount is reached, these children are eligible for STATEvaccine)
2) Insured Hardship
• Children whose insurance has a deductible of > $250.00 (per child) OR > $500.00 (per family) that has not been met AND the family cannot afford to pay for privately purchased vaccine.
Although suppliers have plenty of adult flu shots (for ages 18-64) they are also running low or sold out of the pediatric doses, so we are unable to purchase more at this time. We do have access to flu mist doses. Flu mist is not appropriate for everyone. Flu Mist is indicated for healthy, non-pregnant persons ages 2 years through 49 years old. We still strongly recommend our patients get vaccinated against influenza. Flu Vaccination is recommended annually by the ACIP for all persons greater than or equal to 6 months of age. Children less than 9 years old that have not had 2 doses of flu vaccine since July 2010, will need 2 doses of flu vaccine this year, at least 30 days apart. Please feel free to contact our office with any questions. We have reached out to the local health departments and they still have pediatrics flu shots for insured patients. Please contact them at the appropriate number below (based on the county you reside in) to get more information or schedule an appointment. Contact information and cost are below.
- Richland County Health Department: 803-576-1358 they are charging $25 and they will not file your insurance
- Kershaw County Health Department: 803-425-6012 they are charging $13 and they will not file your insurance
- Newberry County Health Department: 803-321-2170 they are charging $25 and they will not file your insurance
- Lexington County Health Department: 803-785-6550 we apologize but, we were not able to obtain any additional information by phone